Subscribe:

Friday, August 7, 2015

Celebrating Breastfeeding Week





Today was the last day of World Breastfeeding Week. The theme for this year was "Let's make it work". It aims to not only bring awareness to breastfeeding mothers but specifically to working mothers. It's a tough road for mothers in the workforce. Pumping in itself is hard. Then finding the time and support can also prove to be a challenge. Offering a little encouragement and support can be a world of difference for those struggling.

I know I am thankful for those who have and continue to support me. Never did I think I would or would be able to go as long as I have. Nor did I think I would be pregnant and still nursing/pumping for my little one at 18 1/2 months. Some people told me I would not have enough milk with working. I was so worried. But that is absolutely untrue! You can make it work! And the benefits are huge for both the child and mother so why wouldn't you want to.

I know of the challenges mommies face. Our breastfeeding journey was not easy. If you have read any of my other posts, Juliana would not latch for the first five and half weeks after birth. We tried everything, people would tell me this or that and often times it felt like people thought I wouldn't be able to do it.

On top of that the pump I had was not effective for me. Every mommy is different and pumps work differently for each mother. Some moms can't even pump but can nurse. Pumping proved to be a huge bump in the road for us. I struggled for five and half weeks to get milk for my daughter. My mom tried to be helpful but only made me feel worse. I felt like a failure but never did I give it up. Juliana was patient. There were a couple nights I cried and wondered how I was going to make it when I went back to work. But I have an amazing husband and he helped me through everything!

After five weeks my husband suggested trying a different pump as others had suggested. We went and got a manual pump. That worked like a charm for me. Although it is not as convenient as an electric and it is a lot of work it does the job well. I got nine ounces right away. Quickly I was able to build my stash and pump about 60 ounces a day with nursing Juliana.

It was about that time I had a wonderful professor who reached out and said maybe I should try craniosacral therapy to help her latch. The first few calls were unsuccessful, we couldn't find someone. With my mom hounding me to find someone, we finally did and they got her in right away. She latched within 24 hours. It was amazing. I could see the instant relief in her face when they examined her and adjusted the spots. She had been out in three places around her jaw and ear area. The therapy is just simple gentle pressures. I would definitely recommend it even if nothing appears to be wrong with your little one.

Our breastfeeding troubles didn't end there. A few weeks after going back to work I had terrible pain and fevers from infection. One breast was so sore from the chaos of trying various electric pumps (one was an improper fit). There was a huge crack that bleed every time I pumped. Several times I got nearly straight blood in my bottle. I think I measured about 2 oz of pure blood.

Pumping consumed my life. I pumped every two hours 24/7. All anybody heard was "it's time to pump"... pump, pump, pump. It has gotten better. Like I said Juliana is 18 1/2 months and I am still able to provide breastmilk for her. I've been able to supply milk for eight babies (temporary, part-time and full-time) throughout our journey. 

So if you are a momma struggling to provide breastmilk for your baby hang in there. It does get better. It may not be easy but align yourself with supportive individuals and you will get there. I promise! And don't be afraid to reach out!

To learn how to advocate for nursing moms click here.




No comments: